Stay safe when dating!
Online dating can have lots of advantages however unfortunately a downside is that, as with alot of things that are internet based, it can be difficult to check and verify that the information about a potential date from someone that you have met online is correct and not misunderstood.
Unfortunately this can potentially lead to someone people taking advantage of this weakness in the internet and not being truthful or as sincere about the information they give out.
Some dating safety tips
For these uncertainties and for the benefit of your friends and family who will worry about you, please follow some simple steps before meeting up face-to-face with someone you don't know or have met online. This is by no means a definitive list but will hopefully give you a few tips about trying to ensure your date goes safely.
- Let a friend or family know who you're meeting, where, and timings and what time you expect to be back home - use our free tool below
- Try and meet in a place you feel comfortable with the surroundings or if that's not possible try and visit the meeting place beforehand
- Take a mobile phone with you in case you get into difficulty
- Send a text message (SMS) once you've met up with your date to someone you know so that they know the date has started ok. This may be difficult if you wanted to do this subtly but instead you could tell your date you are letting someone know you are safe as it would be reasonable to expect they would understand the importance of this.
- Don't forget to tell your friends or family that you have arrived back safely from your date
For more information these web links might be able to provide some guidance:-
December 2015 Update:
Your Dating Safety - Do you know what to do?Don't forget about your dating safety this festive season!
Safety on Dates + Dating Safety Tool
It's the festive season!
This is a great time of year for meeting someone new and finding your perfect match.
People can be in better spirits with the thought of holiday time coming up and time off work, lots of nice food to eat and plenty of opportunities at parties and events to get to know people better and to meet new people.
However with all these nice thoughts don't forget your safety on dates. You may be going on more dates this time of year and with the excitement of going on the date you might forget to look out your safety. Here's some things to remember:
- Tell a friend or family member who you're meeting, where you're going, and what time you'll be back.
- Try and meet in a place your comfortable and familiar with and know your route home.